Mesothelioma Attorneys

Filing an Asbestos Exposure Lawsuit for Lung Cancer

Asbestos is a known carcinogen and can cause other cancers besides mesothelioma, such as lung cancer. There are different types of lung cancer, identified by how the cancer cells look under a microscope. About 87% of lung cancers are a type called non-small cell lung cancer. The other 13% are small cell lung cancer, which tends to spread more quickly than non-small cell lung cancer. Early stages of lung cancer cause no symptoms. As the cancer grows, a person may experience symptoms such as a persistent cough, cough that gets worse over time or a cough expelling blood, trouble breathing or shortness of breath, constant chest pain, hoarse voice, tiredness, unexplained weight loss and frequent respiratory infections. A doctor suspecting a patient may have lung cancer or whose patient complains of these symptoms should first review medical and occupational history and perform a physical exam to check for signs of illness. Blood test, chest x-ray and/or computed tomography (CT) scan may also be ordered. However, the only way to confirm the presence of lung cancer is for a pathologist to identify cancer cells in a collected sample using a microscope. A doctor uses procedures such as sputum cytology, thoracentesis, bronchoscopy, fine-needle aspiration, thoracoscopy, thoracotomy or mediastinoscopy to collect samples of fluid, cells or tissue for laboratory analysis by a pathologist. Because lung cancer treatment depends upon the stage, meaning the kind, size and if the cancer has spread or metastasized, doctors must know this before developing a treatment plan. Staging the cancer may involve blood or other tests, computed tomography (CT) scan, bone scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan or positron emission tomography (PET) scan. If your doctors diagnose you with lung cancer, they may advise surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy or a combination of these in a treatment plan developed to fight your particular cancer.

Getting the Medical Attention You Need

Medical treatment associated with lung cancer is expensive, and it is certainly not optional if a patient wishes to have the greatest chance of survival. It will be important to work with a specialist who can develop a treatment plan based on the specific type and severity of lung cancer while accounting for the patient's age, health and overall prognosis. In handling asbestos exposure lawsuits for our clients, our firm's goal is to help them seek the best medical care. We understand that the quality of life that a cancer patient experiences may be directly related to the care he or she receives. In holding asbestos manufacturers and other at-fault parties accountable for their negligence, we seek maximum financial compensation to cover any and all medical care and other losses, expenses and injuries asbestos exposure has caused.

Free Consultation with an Asbestos Lawyer

If you or a loved one has developed lung cancer due to asbestos exposure, then you can secure the assistance of a qualified mesothelioma attorney at our firm. Napoli Shkolnik PLLC has more than 50 years of collective experience in helping those who have become ill due to another’s carelessness. Lung cancer needs the best possible medical treatment. This can be covered by compensation received by way of a personal injury lawsuit. Representing plaintiffs in these matters, our firm offers experienced legal counsel to clients across the country. We are headquartered in New York City and have additional offices in New Jersey, Illinois, California, Florida, and Delaware to assist victims of asbestos exposure throughout the U.S. Your initial consultation is free, and we work on a contingency fee basis on these cases. You pay no legal fees unless we win a verdict or negotiate a settlement on your behalf. To learn more, contact a mesothelioma lawyer at our firm.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Our Locations

Please Contact Us for an In-Person Appointment