Jennifer R. Liakos
Jennifer Liakos is a Partner in the Napoli Shkolnik PLLC Pharmaceutical Litigation Department and is based in the California, office. Her practice focuses primarily on mass tort litigation, including pharmaceutical product liability, personal injury, and medical device litigation.
As an experienced personal injury lawyer, Ms. Liakos predominantly has concentrated her practice on injuries affecting women and children. She has been at the forefront of the SSRI antidepressant birth defect litigation for more than a decade, litigating against defendants including GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, and Forest Pharmaceuticals.
In 2003, she was appointed Discovery Chair for the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the Paxil Products Liability Litigation (MDL 1574) and is presently the American Association for Justice Litigation Group Chair for the SSRI Birth Defects Group. Most recently, Ms. Liakos was named to the Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee in the Viagra (Sildenafil Citrate) Products Liability Litigation (MDL 2). In addition to birth defect litigation, Ms. Liakos has also worked on cases involving antidepressant-induced suicide and withdrawal and cases involving injuries caused by toxic shock syndrome.
Ms. Liakos has testified before the FDA advisory board on amending the regulations concerning generic manufacturer liability. She was named as a Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2007 and 2008. She was selected as a Super Lawyer in every year since 2011.
- Bar Admissions
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Western Michigan University, B.A., cum laude
- Awards and Honors
- California Super Lawyers, 2011-2017
- California Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2007 and 2008
- Speaking Engagements
- Faculty Member, “Considerations for Deposing Adverse Lay Witnesses and Experts”, American Association for Justice (AAJ) 2018 Annual Education Convention
- Faculty Member, “Trial Advocacy College: Depositions”, American Association for Justice (AAJ) Education Seminar
- Speaker, “McKesson and Its Importance,” HarrisMartin California Mass Tort and Class Action Litigation Conference: The Impact of Daimler and BMS-Plavix
- Media Appearances
- Spearmint Rhino, Dancers Asked To Weigh In On Epic’s Impact, Law360 (May 29, 2018)
- New York Metro-Top Women 2018 Super Lawyers® Magazine (March 2018)
- Uber driver alleges service fee deductions do not apply to Boost, Surge calculations, Legal NewsLine (March 23, 2018)
- Exotic Dancers, Club Chain Strike $8.5M Deal In Wage Row, Law360 (February 26, 2018)
- Court Appointments
- Member, Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, Abilify (Aripiprazole) Products Liability Litigation (Case No. 3:16-md02734)
- Member, Plaintiff’s’ Executive Committee, Viagra (Sildenafil Citrate) Products Liability Litigation (MDL 2)
- Group Chair, American Association for Justice Litigation for the SSRI Birth Defects Group
- Discovery Chair, Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the Paxil Products Liability Litigation (MDL 1574)
- Other Experience
- Robinson Calcagnie Robinson Shapiro & Davis, Inc.
- Baum Hedlund Aristei Goldman & Menzies, PC
- Yourman Alexander & Parekh, PC
- Weiss and Yourman