As a life-long resident of New York City and a retired firefighter with the FDNY, Stephen has a unique understanding of the needs of clients. He knows first-hand the joy and hardship associated with the profession of firefighter. He was honored and privileged to serve the city of New York and its residents and work alongside some of the most selfless and inspiring people he has ever met. The attitude employed in his practice carries over from his time with the FDNY. He maintains ties with the FDNY community and regularly helps firefighters pro bono with various legal matters, including working with several members on their three-quarter disability pensions.
Having been a practicing attorney for over 20 years, Mr. Holihan has represented a wide variety of clients on various legal matters. A founding member of Holihan & Associates, P.C., his New York City based practice was involved with varied legal matters for firefighters and their families in the wake of the 9/11 attacks. Mr. Holihan is a firefighter disabled as a result of injuries sustained in the 9/11 attacks. He personally knows the hardship firefighters faced and continue to face in connection with the issues that arise from the 9/11 attacks.
Mr. Holihan is a skilled litigator and has expertise in the areas of firefighter injury cases and commercial litigation.
In addition to maintaining his law practice, you can find Stephen coaching little league or lending a hand at Frank M. Charles Park as a member of the Charles Park Conservation Society.
- Bar Admissions
- New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States Supreme Court
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D.
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, B.S.
- Professional Affiliations
- Queens County Bar Association
- Catholic Lawyer’s Guild
- New York State Trial Lawyer’s Association
- Charles Park Conservation Society
- Counsel for the Danielle Antar Foundation
- Court Appointments
- Appointed Litigation Counsel by the Southern District Bankruptcy Court
- Appointed Guardian by the Supreme Court of the State of New York
- Appointed Court Evaluator by the Supreme Court of the State of New York
- Representative Cases and Settlements of Note
$1,924,000 Judgment obtained for a FDNY fire lieutenant injured as a result of injuries sustained in a fire
Worked with 9/11 first responders and their families to file and complete victim compensation claims under the Zadroga Act and the initial Victim’s Compensation Fund.
- Other Experience
- Founding Member, Holihan & Associates, P.C.
- Firefighter, City of New York, Ladder 146, Engine 204 and Engine 307
- Assigned to Ground Zero in the immediate aftermath of 9/11
- Pro Bono
Steve currently helps families through the Rise NY and NYC Build It Back programs. The work he does is assists with the process of rebuilding after Superstorm Sandy. The tragedy hits close to home as a life-long New York City resident and Steve gains great satisfaction out of easing the pain of those families who were suddenly displaced from their homes.