Januvia, Byetta, and Victoza’s Dangerous Side Effects
March 12, 2018 | Pharmaceutical Litigation
We take medicine prescribed by our health care providers in order to get heathy and stay healthy. But far too often, the very medication we are taking to get better and treat one set of symptoms does damage and causes a whole new set off symptoms. This is common of many medications and there are countless lawsuits and legal cases regarding these medications. Today we are going to look at three of the recent ones causing a stir:
JANUVIA Side Effects
This medication, given as an oral tablet for the control of symptoms of Type II Diabetes has recently been under fire for some of the devastating health concerns it poses and the many serious side effects people are reporting, which include:
Inflammation of the pancreas that can lead to rupturing and death. Risk is increased if you have ever had:
- high triglycerides
- kidney problems
Heart failure, which occurs when the heart no longer pumps efficiently leading to fluid and blood accumulation and a drop of oxygen levels and blood circulation throughout the body. Contact your doctor right away for the following symptoms of heart failure:
- shortness of breath or breathing difficulties, especially if it is worse when you lay down
- swelling or fluid retention which is common in the hands, feet, legs, or face
- a rapid and unusual increase in weight, usually more than 5 pounds in a 1-2 day period
- unusual tiredness, lethargy, and lack of energy or inability to stay awake
- Extreme tiredness or breath after activity that normally was done with no issues
the side effects of BYETTA
This is an injectable prescription medicine that is used by many people today to help improve blood sugar levels and help control spiking for those with type 2 diabetes. It has been reported that Byetta can cause some very serious side effects including:
Heart attack or stroke.
It is not known whether other diabetes medications taken at the same time can increase your risk. If you have heart issues or are at risk for developing any sort of heart problems you should discuss alternatives with your doctor to avoid this risk as you try to control your diabetes.
Low blood sugar.
Also known as hypoglycemia, this is a sudden and often severe drop in blood sugar levels. This can lead to dizziness, confusion, and blackouts which can cause injuries. Severe hypoglycemia can lead to a person falling into a diabetic coma and could lead to death. If you are prone to low blood sugar you should monitor your levels closely while taking Byetta.
This medication may cause new or worsening problems with kidney function. If severe damage is done, which has been reported after only a short time on the medication, dialysis or kidney transplant may be needed. Those with kidney stones or low kidney functions are advised not to take this medication.
Severe allergic reactions.
This is a side effect that has been reported many times with Byetta and can lead to life-threatening problems that require immediate medical care and treatment. Do not use exenatide (generic name for Byetta) if you have had an allergic reaction to it or any of the other ingredients in it.
what can happen if I take vICTOZA?
Victoza is a GLP-1 analog used to help treat Type 2 Diabetes. It has made headlines lately and is known for causing many side effects in users. Common side effects you may experience when using this medication include:
- Headaches and dizziness
- Nausea and vomiting and stomach upset
- Indigestion, gas, bloating, loss of appetite
- Severe constipation
- Common symptoms of a cold
- Lethargy and tiredness
- Skin rash and itchiness
- Upper respiratory tract infection,
- Redness and tenderness at injection site
Some of the serious side effects of Victoza include:
- Sudden swelling or a lump in the throat
- Hoarse voice or sudden change in your voice
- Difficulty swallowing
- Shortness of breath or tightness in the chest
- Urinating less or unable to urinate at all
- Weakness or numbness anywhere in the body
- Confusion or memory issues that are abnormal
- More thirst and unable to quench thirst
- Lack of appetite and unable to keep food down
- Pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest
- Swelling in the extremities or sudden gains in weight
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Sores in the mouth
- Unable to wake or stay awake
As humans in this modern age, we rely on medications so much today and often times they do what they are supposed to do and we are healthier and happier thanks to them. But more and more often medications that are unsafe are being prescribed and people are suffering because of it. If you or a loved one have been injured by these or other medications, give us a call and let us help you fight for your rights!
How Can We Help?
Do you need assistance with a legal matter? Our attorneys have the experience needed to guide you in the right direction.