Joseph Napoli is a dedicated legal advocate, academic scholar, and performance artist who brings all his education, skills, experience, and talent to bear in each case that he handles.
He is widely recognized as one of the most tenacious and dedicated litigators in New York. He is known for taking on the ‘difficult’ cases and recovering substantial damages when other firms have insisted there was no claim.
Currently, Mr. Napoli spends most of his time advocating for clients injured in auto accident cases and other types of personal injury that involve multi-million-dollar damage figures. As a personal injury attorney, Mr. Napoli also represents victims of defective products. Whether related to a design defect, manufacturing defect, or a failure to warn about known dangers, these actions often affect millions of innocent consumers.
He is also known for his expertise in cases involving traumatic brain injuries. He has a reputation for the lengths he is willing to go in pursuit of justice on behalf of his clients and investing as much time and resources as is needed to present a winning case.
In terms of individual actions, Mr. Napoli often represents victims of medical malpractice and construction negligence. When he was only a year out of law school, Mr. Napoli obtained a landmark decision reversing a one-hundred-year-old law allowing plaintiffs with foreign objects left in their bodies after surgery to sue from the date of discovery. Mr. Napoli also has an in-depth knowledge of New York’s complex scaffolding law, which holds some construction companies strictly liable for the damages that they cause.
Mr. Napoli is also one of the few personal injury attorneys in New York who routinely handles civil appeals. He is regularly recognized by his colleagues for the quality of his work and the commitment he brings to every case he accepts.
In the past, Mr. Napoli has been an instructor at the St. John’s University School of law, the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, and the Bernard M. Baruch College of the City University of New York.
At these institutions, he taught various courses in areas like medical malpractice, evidence, and products liability. Mr. Napoli has also conducted torts seminars and trial seminars.
He is also the author of the Guide to New York Evidence, a manual of arms for Empire State litigators which is currently in its tenth printing.
Over the years, Mr. Napoli has brought his considerable writing talents to both stage and screen. He has penned several live plays and movie screenplays. He has also directed two feature films.
- Bar Admissions
- New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Pro hac vice Admission: Florida
- New York University School of Law, LLM
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D.
- St. John’s University, B.A.
- Professional Affiliations
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers Association
- New York State Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Media Appearances
Rapper Drake sued by S.I. woman who says she was struck by bottle at show, silive.com (July 28, 2019)
Drake sued by woman hit in head by beer bottle at MSG concert, New York Post (July 16, 2019)
- From the Firehouse to the Court Room, New York Law Journal (June 11, 2021)
- From the Emergency Room to the Court Room, New York Law Journal (March 13, 2019)
- also seen in Special Section, “Medical Malpractice” of The Legal Intelligencer (April 9, 2019)
- Forceful Brief Writing and Oral Argument, New York Law Journal (November 20, 2018)
- Guide to New York Evidence, Looseleaf Law Publications
- Representative Cases and Settlements of Note
*Results May Vary Depending On Your Particular Facts and Legal Circumstances*
Mr. Napoli has had numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements, having recently obtained:
- a $2,499,000 Premises Settlement on behalf of our client who was walking in midtown Manhattan when he tripped and fell over a defective and hazardous utility box in the middle of a crosswalk. As a result of his fall, our client sustained significant and traumatic injuries to his right shoulder. These life-altering injuries effectively ended his professional golf career.
- a Multi-Million Dollar Personal Injury settlement on behalf of a client who sustained permanent injuries after sitting in a defective piece of furniture.
- $1.6 Million Labor Law settlement achieved for our client who fell from a ladder while working on a construction site. He sustained serious and permanent injuries to his spine, ribs, leg, and ankle, which required multiple surgeries and injections. Our client underwent years of physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture.
- a $1.3 Automobile Accident Trial settlement for a client who was t-boned when he had the green light.
- an $8 million settlement (a single leg amputation for a pedestrian);
- a $4.1 million mediation personal injury settlement (automobile accident);
- a $2.75 million settlement (labor law case for a worker who fell off a ladder);
- a $860,000 settlement (Labor Law); and
- a $15.7 million settlement (double amputation due to being crushed by a concrete barrier).
- Other Experience
- Instructor, St. John’s University School of Law
- Instructor, John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Topics at both schools included medical malpractice, product liability, and evidence. Mr. Napoli has also conducted torts seminars and trial seminars.