Tate J. Kunkle
Tate J. Kunkle is an associate in the Environmental Litigation Department of the firm. His practice in state and federal courts focuses on plaintiff’s mass tort litigation, concentrating on helping people harmed by exposure to hazardous water and air contaminants. He has represented clients throughout the country harmed by a multitude of environmental pollutants and toxins such as petroleum, dioxin, PERC, PFOA and the gasoline additive MTBE in public water supply wells.
- Bar Admissions
United States District Court, Southern District of New York
United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
United States District Court, Western District of New York
United States District Court, Northern District of New York
Pace University School of Law, LL.M. in Environmental Law
Pace University School of Law, J.D.
Dickinson College, B.A.
- Awards and Honors
New York Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2013-2018
The National Trial Lawyer Association, Top 40 Under 40 in the State of New York, 2012
- Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “What are Aqueous Film-Forming Foams and Who Makes Them?”, HarrisMartin’s Water Contamination Litigation Conference, 2018
- Speaker, The Alphabet Soup of Water Contaminants: PFOA, PFOS, and HABs, 2018 NYSAC Fall Seminar
- Panelist, Don’t Drink the Water: Lead, Vapor Intrusion & Groundwater Contamination, Perrin Environmental Risk & Litigation Conference, 2017
- Speaker, The Science of Causation and Harm – Toxicology 101, New York State Bar Association Toxic Tort Litigation 2017
- Speaker, Liability Topics Relating to Hydraulic Fracturing, The Seminar Group Hydraulic Fracking Conference, 2013
- Speaker, Shale Development and Hydraulic Fracturing, Environmental Law Institute, 2013
- Panelist, Drinking Water Studies & Lone Pine Orders, The Seminar Group Hydraulic Fracking Conference, 2014
- Presenter, Daubert Motions in Class Certification, Strafford Publications CLE Webinar, 2017
- Media Appearances
Ohio city seeks damages from 3M, others over alleged water well contamination, Legal NewsLine (October 12, 2018)
Exclusive: Are Love Canal chemicals still making people sick?, The Buffalo News (June 1, 2018)
Yaphank, New York residents file suit over alleged contamination of water supply, Legal Newsline (December 14, 2017)
Newburgh residents suing over water contamination, Times Herald-Record (August 15, 2017)
- The Emerging Crisis of PFAS Exposure, The New York Law Journal (October 6, 2017)
- Litigation of Natural Gas Claims from the Plaintiff’s Perspective, in The Law of Oil and Gas in Pennsylvania, 445 (Joel R. Burcat & Stephen W. Saunders eds., 2d ed., Pa. B. Inst. 2016
- Litigation of Natural Gas Claims from the Plaintiff’s Perspective, in The Law of Oil and Gas in Pennsylvania, 377–86 (Joel R. Burcat & Stephen W. Saunders eds., Pa. B. Inst. 2014
- Litigation Environment Drilling and Hydraulic Fracturing, The Environmental Law Reporter, Volume 43, No. 3 (March 2013)
- A Plaintiff’s Primer on Litigating Natural Gas Cases, Westlaw Journal, Environmental, Volume 31, Issue 23 (June 8, 2011)
- Federal Environmental Standing Continues to Evolve, 2009 A.B.A. Sec. Environmental, Energy and Resources, Vol. 5, No. 2
- Representative Cases and Settlements of Note
Mr. Kunkle was an integral part of the team that helped obtain a $52 million dollar settlement for environmental contamination of municipal water supplies of MTBE by petroleum refiners and retailers. He also worked extensively on In Re: World Trade Center Disaster Site Litigation, which resulted in a $712.5 million dollar settlement of injuries sustained by rescue and recovery workers at Ground Zero from toxic dust. Additionally litigated dozens of cases to favorable settlements for municipalities for chemical contamination of their water supplies.
- Other Experience
Kunkle Law Firm, LLC
Napoli Bern Ripka Shkolnik LLP
Canter Law Firm P.C.
Pace Energy and Climate Center