Sam brings many years of behavioral healthcare experience to Napoli Shkolnik’s Parity Litigation Team.
Before entering law school, Sam spent five years at a revenue cycle management company where he was in charge of resolving disputes with the nation’s largest health insurance companies. During Sam’s time in medical billing, he supervised a team that collected millions of dollars in claims that insurers initially denied.
During law school, Sam worked as a law clerk in Napoli Shkolnik’s Washington, DC office where he helped build the firm’s Parity litigation practice. Sam strongly believes that patients have a right to the insurance benefits they pay for, and his practice is devoted to fighting for patients and providers whose claims are wrongly unpaid.
Sam also represents over one hundred healthcare providers and patient-creditors in the Purdue Pharmaceutical Bankruptcy, bringing his experience as an extern to the Honorable Margaret M. Mann in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California to the Opioid Litigation team.
Additionally, Sam advises healthcare providers and medical billing companies on compliance and in disputes with Public and Commercial insurers. Sam has successfully guided clients through audits and investigations, and has resolved millions of dollars in unpaid AR for healthcare providers.
- Bar Admissions
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- University of California Irvine, Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, B.A.
- Speaking Engagements
Speaker, “Fight For Your Right to Payment”, HSNS Conference (July 2019)
- Media Appearances
UBH Can’t Sink ERISA Suit Over Surprise Medical Bills, Law360 (December 21, 2020)
ER physicians accuse UnitedHealth of illegally underpaying claims, Becker’s Hospital Review (November 4, 2020)
New York ER Doctors Sue UnitedHealth Over Out-of-Network Claims, Bloomberg Law (November 3, 2020)
Court Urged Not To Ax underpayment Suits Against Cigna, Law360 (June 26, 2020)
Cigna, Viant Want Out of Behavioral Health Care Suit, Law360 (June 5, 2020)
Lawsuits accuse United, Cigna of underpaying for behavioral health claims, MedCity News (April 9, 2020)
UnitedHealthcare, Cigna sued for allegedly underpaying behavioral health claims, Becker’s Hospital Review (April 8, 2020)
UnitedHealth, Cigna, Viant Accused of Fraudulently ‘Repricing’ Behavioral Health Bills in Class-Action Suits, Health Payer Specialist (April 8, 2020)
UnitedHealth,Cigna accused of underpaying out-of-network providers, Modern Healthcare (April 6, 2020)
United And Cigna cheat Patients on Benefit Money, Suit Say, Law360 (April 3, 2020)
Cigna, United Underpaid Out-of-Network Claims, Lawsuit Alleges, Bloomberg Law (April 3, 2020)
Patients and Behavioral Health Providers Sue Viant, Cigna and United for Conspriing to Underpay Out-of-Network Claims, As Covered By:
- Yahoo! Finance
- KTVN-TV CBS-2
- WFMJ-TV NBC-21
- KWTV-TV CBS-9
- KAKE-TV ABC
- WBOC-TV CBS-16
- WRCB-TV NBC-3
- KVOR 740-AM
- Seeking Alpha
- Daily Herald
- The Buffalo News
- VB Profiles
- 1st Discount Brokerage
- Participant Education Center
- Daily Penny Alerts
- Dow Theory Letters
- Value Investing News
- Franklin Credit Management
- Representative Cases and Settlements of Note
*Results May Vary Depending On Your Particular Facts and Legal Circumstances*
- Successful collection of unpaid substance abuse and eating disorder claims on behalf of patients and providers against United Healthcare, Florida Blue, Beacon Health Options
- Advised major network of behavioral healthcare providers to successful resolution of pre-payment audit with nations’ largest health insurer.
- Counseled healthcare clinic to a favorable resolution of dispute with West Virginia Medicaid Managed Care Organization, leading to payment of 6 months in denied claims.
- Guided network of behavioral healthcare facilities in Texas to favorable resolution of claims recoupment attempts from nation’s largest insurer.
- Judicial Extern United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California to the Honorable Margaret M. Mann