Marie has been an attorney for over twenty-five years. She has experience handling personal injury, medical malpractice litigation, pharmaceutical litigation, employment discrimination, civil rights, and mass tort matters. Marie earned her J.D. from St. John’s University Law School and her L.L.M. degree from New York University (NYU) School of Law. She has worked for the New York Appellate Division, 2nd Department and has taught CLE courses on Tort and Civil Procedure at St. John’s University School of Law.
As a founding partner of Napoli Shkolnik PLLC, Marie is involved in many depositions and has tried multiple cases to verdict. As a skilled and determined attorney who is well-versed in numerous litigation fields, Marie understands the breadth of the legal issues that particularly affect women injured by pharmaceutical and other defective products.
Marie is a breast cancer survivor and philanthropist creating awareness to fund research through such charitable organizations such as The Bone Marrow Foundation, Inc. Marie is an avid runner and has raised money by competing in the Long Island Half Marathon and the New York City Marathon.
Marie is dedicated to plenty more philanthropic organizations and activities. She was a board member at Glen Cove Boys & Girls Club, which is a youth organization in Glen Cove, New York, and a member of the Board of Governors at the St. John’s University, as well as the President of the Middle School Parent Council of Friends Academy.
Marie Napoli’s Published Works
In 1993, while attending St. John’s University School of Law, Marie Napoli had two of her works published: “The Lord in the Law: Reflections on a Catholic Law School”, by the St. Mary’s Law Review, and “Sexual Harassment of Women in the Workplace: He Said, She Said,” by the St. John’s Journal of Legal Commentary.
She continued to highlight the important issue of sexual harassment and discrimination with her 2017 piece “Lawyer Viewpoint: Marie Napoli on the Law on Sex Addicts and Weinstein”, published by Lawdragon.
As the country, and world, continues to grapple with the opioid epidemic, Marie co-authored “Opioid Crisis Costs: Is There a Cause of Action?,” with her husband and which was published by the New York Law Journal.
Marie then tackled the difficult subject of human trafficking in her article “Lawyers Taking A Stand Against Human Trafficking” which was published both by the New York Law Journal and Lawyer Monthly. This piece focuses on the legal actions victims do have if they have been the victim of trafficking, a situation that is very difficult to escape. Many victims are hesitant to come forward to share their story as they fear shaming and retaliation from their former captors. Marie clearly outlines the resources and legal help that is available.
Recognizing the need for factual information regarding legal questions regarding the FDA and prescription drugs, Marie penned a consumer brief entitled “Protecting Yourself From Defective Drug Risks During the Age of COVID-19“. It discusses the need for a preventive cure, such as a vaccine, but how this urgent need should not supersede the safe scientific methods of clinical trials.
As a follow up to this article, Marie decided to explore vaccine safety issues more closely with “Pharma Liability, Consumer Rights And the COVID-19 Vaccine” which can be found in Lawyer Monthly. She writes about the fast tracked COVID-19 vaccines and how the expedited pharmaceutical and FDA process works.
Marie is also a legal commentator on a variety of legal issues and has appeared on such networks as Fox Business News, CNN, CBS New York, and ABC News.
With appearances on Court TV, Law and Crime Network Live, Dr. Oz, Newsmax, Rolling Stone, New York City’s WPIX-TV 11 News, TRT World and others, she provides well-reasoned views on topics from “biased male views toward female victims” in the case of the Playboy Model Murder case; “extreme, wanton criminal negligence” in the case of the Breonna Taylor case; the “unwarranted, ingrained notion of race discrimination” in the George Floyd case; and the need for victims of sexual assault to take their power back by filing civil lawsuits, as in the case of Charity Carson.
Additional cases she has assessed include the Jealous Lover Murder Trial — where she provided legal analysis on the multiple problems involved with a juror improperly communicating with her parents; the Teen Charged with Killing Two Kenosha Rioters, where she explained how it is up to a jury to decide whether it was murder or self-defense by Kyle Rittenhouse; The Tammy Daybell Effect on Chad Daybell’s Case, where she assessed the Courtroom vs. the Court of Public Opinion in Tammy Daybell’s death; and the responsibility of attorneys during COVID-19 when courts are physically closed.
- Bar Admissions
- New York
- New York Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Supreme Court
- New York University School of Law, L.L.M.
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D.
- St. John’s University, B.S.
- Awards and Honors
- American Academy of Attorneys, Top 100 Attorneys in Personal Injury Law
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys (AIOPIA), Top 10 Best Personal Injury Law Attorney
- Best Attorneys of America
- Best of the Best Attorneys
- Best Lawyers Business Edition, Women in Law, 2019
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys (NAOPIA), Top 10 Attorney Award – New York
- National Alliance of Attorneys, 2020
- The National Trial Lawyers for Women’s Rights – Top 10
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 25 Medical Malpractice Trial Lawyers
- The National Trial Laywers – Top 10 Nursing Home Trial Lawyers
- New York Super Lawyers® , 2018-2020
- Trial Lawyers Board of Regents Litigator Awards, 2015 & 2016, Ranked Top 1% of Lawyers
- St. John’s University Board of Trustees Service Recognition Award
- Professional Affiliations
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- National Women’s Law Center: Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund
- American Association for Justice
- Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association (BWBA)
- Law360’s Personal Injury and Med Mal Editorial Advisory Board
- Nassau County Bar Association
- National Women’s Law Center, Legal Network for Gender Equity
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- New York State Bar Association (NYBA)
- New York Women’s Bar Association (NYWBA)
- Suffolk County Bar Association
- St. John’s University School of Law, Advisory Board to the Dean
- Fordham University President Council
- The Bone Marrow Foundation, Associate Board Member
- Paul and Marie Napoli Foundation, Founder
Previously Served As
- John’s University, Former Member of the Board of Governors
- Notes & Comments Editor, St. John’s Journal of Legal Commentary
- Notes & Comments Editor, St. Mary’s Law Journal
- President, St. John’s Alumni Association, Nassau Chapter
- Vice President, Friend’s Academy Parent Council
- Board Member, Glen Cove Boys & Girls Club
- Speaking Engagements
Featured Speaker, “America on Opioids: The Issues, The Claims and The Coverage,” Perrin Conferences Webinars
- Media Appearances
Porn Star Ron Jeremy Accused of Multiple Sexual Assaults, The Dr. Oz Show (November 19, 2020)
Charity Caron ‘Needed To Report’ Ron Jeremy After Sexual Assault Incident, OK Magazine (November 19, 2020)
Law and Crime Network (November 16, 2020)
- Ahmaud Arbery: Judge Weighs Bond Request
- Ahmaud Arbery: Defendant’s Bond Hearing
- Ahmaud Arbery: Witness Credibility: Allison McMichael
- Ahmaud Arbery: Was Spousal Privilege Waived by Allison McMichael?
- Ahmaud Arbery: Witness Credibility: William Bryan
- Erica Stefanko Trial: An Army Veteran Murder
- Erica Stefanko: Bombshell Recording of the Defendant
- Erica Stefanko: Jury Makeup
- Erica Stefanko Trial: Technology Use in a Pandemic Trial
- Erica Stefanko Trial: Judge Discussed Testimony by a Minor
Ron Jeremy Sue for Alleged Sexual Battery, Variety (November 13, 2020)
New York Women Leaders in Law, New York Magazine (October 26 – November 8, 2020)
Jealous Lover Murder Trial, Court TV (October 21, 2020)
Teen Charged With Killing Two Kenosha Rioters, Newsmax National Report (September 2, 2020)
Body Camera Video Released in George Floyd Case, Court TV (August 12, 2020)
Playboy Model Murder Case, Court TV (August 12, 2020)
The Tammy Daybell Effect on Chad Daybell’s Case, Court TV (August 12, 2020)
Oprah Winfrey Erects 26 Billboards for Breonna Taylor, Court TV (August 12, 2020)
Ron Jeremy Charged With Sexual Assault of Four Women, Rolling Stone (June 23, 2020)
New York Courts Reopen Months Into Lockdown With Rush of Lawsuits, Courthouse News Service (May 28, 2020)
COVID-19 Law Q& A, Law and Crime Network Live (April 3, 2020)
The Jinx Murder Trial, CourtTV (March 16, 2020)
Lori Vallow Being Held on $1M Bail in Idaho, CourtTV (March 16, 2020)
Remains Confirmed to Be Baby Evelyn Boswell, CourtTV (March 16, 2020)
Jails and the Coronavirus, CourtTV (March 16, 2020)
Espy eyes massive pay day by enlisting his client, Madison County, Y’all Politics (March 15, 2020)
#MeToo Movement: Women hail Weinstein conviction, say more needs to be done, TRT World (March 5, 2020)
Marie Discusses How to define “Consent”, CourtTV, February 24, 2020
Marie Discusses Witness Credibility, CourtTV, February 24, 2020
Marie Discusses Road Rage Mom Murder Trial, CourtTV, February 24, 2020
Harvey Weinstein Defense Attorney Makes Closing Statement, CourtTV, February 13, 2020
Mimi Haleyi Witness Testimony in the Harvey Weinstein Rape Trial, CourtTV (January 28, 2020)
Rosie Perez Takes the Stand in Harvey Weinstein Trial, CourtTV (January 24, 2020)
Donald Hartung Faces Death Penalty If Convicted of Triple Family Murder, Law & Crime Network: The Morning Docket with Jesse Weber (January 23, 2020)
The Harvey Weinstein Trial: Opening Statements and First Witness Testimony, Law & Crime Network: The Morning Docket with Jesse Weber (January 23, 2020)
Wicca “Ritualistic Killings” Initially Blamed for Mother and 2 Sons Murders, Law & Crime Network: The Morning Docket with Jesse Weber (January 23, 2020)
Convicted Fashion Designer Rapist Sues for Being Beaten Up in Prison, CourtTV (January 16, 2020)
Witchcraft Triple Murder Trial, CourtTV (January 16, 2020)
Jury Selection in NYC Harvey Weinstein Trial, CourtTV (January 16, 2020)
MeToo Movement and Harvey Weinstein Trial Jury Selection, CourtTV (January 16, 2020)
New Orlean Police Initially Issue Arrest Warrant for Odell Beckham Jr, CourtTV (January 16, 2020)
Random Attack at East Village CVS, WPIX-TV 11 News (January 9, 2020)
Woman beaten at East Village CVS says store’s lack of security put her in harm’s way, PIX 11 (January 9, 2020)
Jessica and Daniel Groves Accused of Murdering Baby Son, Law and Crime Network For The Record with Angelica Spanos (January 7, 2020)
Scooter Braun Says Taylor Tweet Led to Death Threats, HLN Burden of Proof (November 24, 2019)
Why Can’t A Problematic Professor Get Fired?, HLN Burden of Proof (November 24, 2019)
Kellen Winslow II Guilty of Forcible Rape, Indecent Exposure, Law and Crime Network / The Morning Docket with Jesse Weber (October 29, 2019)
Spotlight: Drug Firms Reach $260M Settlement Over Opioid Deaths, i24 News Live (October 21, 2019)
- California Boat Fire: NTSB Team Begins Investigation of Deadly Disaster (September 4, 2019)
Justice Delayed…No Longer, The Westbury Times (August 13, 2019)
As More Cities Ban Cashless Businesses, New York Wants to Follow, citylab (March 6, 2019)
Michelle Gillen Sues CBS for Gender, Age Discrimination, Hollywood Reporter (September 14, 2018)
Marie Napoli’s Defamation Claim Proceeds Against Husband’s Ex-Partner, Attorney, New York Law Journal (August 16, 2018)
Justice St. George sustained Marie Napoli’s $500,000,000 defamation claims against Paul Napoli’s former Partner, his attorney, Cliff Robert and their publicist for liable that appeared in the NY Post and other Media. In a statement, Marie Napoli said she is pleased with St. George’s “well-reasoned decision,” noting her claims were sustained against Napoli’s Ex-Partner and his attorney, Robert “for their unconscionable conduct.” She added, “We are confident that the discovery and eventual trial of this matter will result in a substantial damages award, which will be some small consolation for the harm they have done to my reputation.”
Plaintiffs Bar Looks to Cash In on #MeToo, The American Lawyer (April 18, 2018)
Opioid Watch, The Opioid Research Institute (April 17, 2018)
With Trump MIA on Opioids, Here Come the Lawyers, BloombergView (January 12, 2018)
- New Gun Policy Backlash/Dick’s Sporting Goods Employee Quits Over New Gun Policies (Cavuto Coast-to-Coast | March 5, 2018)
- Philly’s Solution to the Opioid Crisis: Legalize Injection Site (February 11, 2018)
- Deadly Las Vegas Shooting Charity Scams (October 10, 2017)
- After Las Vegas shooting, Nevada officials go after sham websites seeking donations (FoxNews.com | October 10, 2017)
Crime Stories with Nancy Grace
- U.S. Hollywood director on the run for rape charge, new rape claims (October 9, 2017)
WABC-7 Eyewitness News
FoxNews.com Strategy Room with Julie Banderas
- Supreme Court Nominee Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Hearings
- FBI Director James Comey’s Congressional Testimony
PrimeTime Justice with Ashleigh Banfield
- Mystery Deepens After Coed Vanishes: Was She Kidnapped
- Cops Want to Know Why Teen Allegedly Killed Stepmom
- Walmart Shooting Cops: Man Charged With Killing Shoplifter Fired Gun 9Xs
- Defendants Sentencing Impacted by his Attitude Towards the Judge in Court
- MMA Fighter War Machine’s Trial – Part 1
- War Machine on trial for allegedly nearly beating ex-girlfriend Christy Mack to death – Part 2
WCBS TV News with Jennifer McLogan
WSHU Public Radio
- Pharma Liability, Consumer Rights And the COVID-19 Vaccine, Lawyer Monthly (April 2021)
- Consumer Brief: Protecting Yourself From Defective Drug Risks During the Age of COVID-19, A Special Report (January 2021)
- Lawyers Taking A Stand Against Human Trafficking, New York Law Journal (February 19, 2020)
- Lawyers Taking A Stand Against Human Trafficking, Lawyer Monthly (February 2020)
- Law Firm of the Month: Napoli Shkolnik PLLC, Attorney at Law Magazine (October 31, 2019)
- Child Victims Act is a Step Toward Healing, The New York Law Journal (February 14, 2019)
- Opioid Crisis Costs: Is There a Cause of Action?, The New York Law Journal (November 16, 2017)
- The Law of Sex Addicts and Weinstein, Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association (fall 2017)
- Lawyer Viewpoint: Marie Napoli on the Law on Sex Addicts and Weinstein, Lawdragon (October 16, 2017)
- The Lord in the Law: Reflections on a Catholic Law School, St. Mary’s Law Review
- Sexual Harassment of Women in the Workplace: He Said, She Said, St. John’s Journal of Legal Commentary (Journal of Civil Rights and Economic Development, Issue 2 Volume 7, Spring 1993)
- Court Appointments
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee for In Re: Zimmer M/L Taper Hip Prosthesis Or M/L Taper Hip Prosthesis With Kinectiv Technology And Versys Femoral Head Products Liability Litigation (18-MD-2859-PAC)
- Plaintiffs’ Executive Steering Committee on the Multi District Litigation for the [BHRPSC] In Re: Smith & Nephew Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR) Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation (MDL No. 2775)
- Representative Cases and Settlements of Note
*Results May Vary Depending On Your Particular Facts and Legal Circumstances*
Ms. Napoli is leading her team to lobby the federal government to update Title IX to reflect the 21st Century. Currently for a school to be liable under Title IX an appropriate school official must have actual notice of harassment and respond with deliberate indifference, an uncommonly high standard. We are seeking to change Title IX so that it aligns with Title VII, which is the standard used between ordinary employer-employee.
Court of Appeals: Ms. Napoli argued issues of Title IX and Section 1983 before the Fifth Circuit on behalf of our client who had been sexually abused by two separate school district employees.
An age and gender discrimination lawsuit was filed on behalf of Michele Gillen, a 39-time Emmy Award winning investigative reporter during her tenure at CBS owned and operated station WFOR-TV in Miami. The suit, filed in federal court, alleged that the newsroom was a toxic work environment for women who were often overlooked for important projects and spoken to in a harmful way. The matter settled for a confidential amount a week before trial.
$600 Million Settlement in the Flint Water Litigation (subject to court approval)
Napoli Shkolnik PLLC, as co-liaison and negotiating counsel in the Flint Water Litigation, along with interim class counsel and representatives of the State of Michigan Attorney General’s office, reached a landmark wide- reaching $600 million settlement with the State of Michigan, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (now the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy), City of Flint, former Governor Richard Snyder, Governor Gretchen Whitmer, and several other State and City employees in the Flint Water Crisis Litigation on behalf of the citizens of Flint, Michigan.
$320 Million Opioid Settlement
This landmark settlement was reached on behalf of Cuyahoga County (Ohio), one of the bellwether plaintiffs in the National Opioid Litigation, against four of the key players responsible for the opioid epidemic.
$1M+ Sexual Harassment Mediation
Ron Jeremy Sexual Assault
- Recently multiple women have come forward to accuse adult industry actor Ron Jeremy of sexual assault in incidences that cover several years. Ms. Napoli represents one of the alleged victims and made it clear to Rolling Stone that “No, means no.”.
- Civic Engagement and Philanthropic Pursuits
- Board of Governors at the St. John’s University
- Other Experience
- Napoli Kaiser & Associates LLP
- Kaiser & Hirsch
- Lawyer, New York, Appellate Division Second Department
- Law Clerk, New York State Supreme Court, Queens County Justice Freedman