Top Tips for What to do After an Auto Accident
March 20, 2018 | Personal Injury
Being involved in any sort of auto accident is a scary and painful experience to be sure but it is important to take care of yourself and stay calm in the minutes, hours, days, and weeks that follow. After an auto accident, you need to keep a clear head and make smart decisions and choices. Your first steps can have a long-lasting effect on your health and wellbeing, as well as on the future of any insurance claim you try to make. Continue reading for some tips on the best ways to deal with the unfortunate event of a car accident that has ended with some sort of bodily injury. After an auto accident, you need to take the right steps to get the representation and help you need in the physical sense as well as the legal sense!
Seek Medical Attention
See a doctor immediately for any known or expected injuries after an auto accident. Although you might not feel bad at the scene there are many symptoms that might not appear until days after the accident:
Getting medical attention quickly helps not only your health and wellbeing but is important to ensuring you have a good case in your insurance claim. If you wait too long, any injuries you might have sustained will not be covered and your claim will likely be thrown out. So always go and get checked out after an auto accident to ensure there are no injuries you need to worry about.
Take Detailed Notes and Photos
It is important to keep detailed notes about any injuries you sustained and all of the medical treatments. This is what will be used in your claim determination to help you get a settlement from the insurance company. Keep a list of the names, contact information, and treatment plans for anyone you see after an auto accident including:
- Doctors and physicians
- Chiropractors or acupuncturists
- Physical therapists
- Hospital and clinical specialists
- Scan technicians and doctors
- Other medical professionals
Also keep the following records:
- Daily journal detailing your medical treatments and care routines
- A list of all medications you are on and any scans, treatments, procedures
- Be specific about your symptoms and how they are progressing
- Keep a record of all communications you have with anyone regarding your care
- Record all written conversations and write notes for face-to-face and phone chats
- Save all of your medical bills and receipts from after an auto accident
- File all prescriptions and orders for things like crutches and braces and walkers
- Keep track of travel expenses from travel to and from all your medical visits
To make sure your claim is as strong in your favor as it can be, record the following:
- All of the details about the accident before, during, and after
- Snap pictures of the scene if possible showing the location and position of vehicles
- Photos of the damage sustained to your car from every angle and viewpoint
- Proof of financial losses like income and lost work opportunities
- Names and contacts for any witnesses you know of
- Photos of you that show your injuries or you getting medical treatments
Tips for Finding an Auto Accident Attorney
When you have suffered an injury of some kind because of an auto accident in New York, whether it is a personal injury or the loss of income or some other traumatic events resulting from the accident, you need a skilled and experienced attorney fighting for you! Here are some tips to help ensure you find the right attorney for you:
- Check their track records to see how many auto accident cases they have won
- See what their reputation is in the local community and among others in the field
- Make sure they have the power, finances and team members to fight in court
- Ensure that they are available when you need them and are open to communications
- Make sure their payment rates and terms are acceptable and fair
After an Auto Accident
It can be difficult to know what to do after an auto accident but being smart and making great choices following an accident can go a long way in keeping you safe as well as helping you win your claim with an auto accident attorney. With these tips on the best ways to deal with the unfortunate event of injury following an auto accident, you are better prepared to take care of yourself. After an auto accident, you need to take the right steps to get the help you need and these tips will get you started off on the right foot!
How Can We Help?
Do you need assistance with a legal matter? Our attorneys have the experience needed to guide you in the right direction.